Monday, October 18, 2010

The Basureros: A Reflection

by: Gina Lynne J. Dipus

The story "The Basureros" has many life lessons in it. As a reader, it made me realize how blessed I am with my present situation and reminds me not to take for granted whatever I have now.
I could somehow relate to the three young basureros. A few years back, I too was in a similar situation, though we did not reach the point of being a basurero. An abrupt change in the family's economic status is hard, and I admire the kids' determination and their fighting spirit. They did not lose hope, though they already lose one parent and another one paralyzed.
The story also taught me to place yourself in another person's shoes before judging them. It is a fact that we sometimes judge other people according to their outward appearance. In one way or another, we have the tendency to discriminate those that we think are "lower" than us.
The story simply tells us to look beyond what we see, because more often than not, there are deeper stories to every picture than they seem to appear...

No comments:

Post a Comment